Residential lighting is a growing market for LEDs
FUNDING + PROGRAMS
• DOE Energy Star program for SSL effective
from September 30
• Procurement scheme draws LEDs into public
sector in UK
RPCVD technology offers low-cost growth alternative for GaN-based LEDs
By eliminating ammonia and using large, low-cost substrates, a new growth technology could offer a challenging alternative to conventional MOCVD processes, writes Giles Bourne.
Solar power drives LEDs for general illumination
Thanks to rapid improvements in photovoltaic and LED lighting technology, solar-powered LED lighting is now suitable for a range of illumination applications, according to Sean Bourquin and Anthony Tisot of Carmanah Technologies.
SSL standards and LED performance demonstrate great progress in San Diego
Updates on standards and on the progress made by leading LED makers, as well as advice on how to build LED luminaires and work with fixture OEMs, were among the highlights of the LEDs 2008 event. Tim Whitaker and Julie MacShane report.
LEDs entertain the crowds at PLASA show
Manufacturers continue to find new ways to use LEDs for lighting and display products that are aimed at the entertainment sector. PLASA 2008 showcased some of the latest innovations, as Tim Whitaker reports.
LEDs reach residential lighting market
Terry McGowan, director of engineering of the American Lighting Association, says it is vital that the residential lighting market is understood by LED manufacturers.
NEWS + VIEWS
• Osram and Philips agreement enables access to LED luminaire IP
• Dell drives transition to energy efficient LED displays
• Europe mandates DRLs for all new vehicles from 2011g
• Dellux lights road tunnel in Germany with Osram LEDs
• LEDs go with the flow in New York City waterfalls
• G-LEC develops media façade for BMW Museum
• Curved arena façade engineered with LEDs