Casio touts mercury-free green design in LED-based projector
Date Announced: 10 Jan 2010
Casio America, Inc., and its parent company, Casio Computer Co., Ltd., today announced that it has created a mercury-free laser & LED hybrid light source, capable of high-brightness projection for use in the next-generation projectors the company has developed under its “clean & green” concept. Casio is releasing a line of GREEN SLIM projectors with the new light source, introducing the world’s first* mercury-free high-brightness data projectors.
Currently, high-pressure mercury lamps are used as the light source for data projectors capable of producing 2,000 or more lumens. Semiconductor light sources that do not contain environmentally harmful mercury such as Laser and LED offer promising light sources for next-generation DLP® projectors. Until now, however, they were only usable as light sources for small, low-lumen projectors because high-output sources capable of producing green light have not been possible for mass production.
Casio has changed all this by creating an original mercury-free hybrid light source capable of generating high brightness by combining a laser, a fluorescent element and an LED. Casio has achieved high output of green light, which has been considered difficult with conventional semiconductor light sources, by very efficiently converting blue laser light into green light, using the fluorescent element. The high-brightness light of 2,000 or more lumens was then attained by projecting blue laser light, green light converted from blue laser light with the element, and light emitted by a red LED through a DLP® chip onto the screen.
Use of the laser & LED hybrid light source makes Casio’s GREEN SLIM projectors the world’s first data projectors bright enough (2,000-3,000 lumens) for projection in a well lit room without using a high-pressure mercury lamp. Usability features have also been greatly improved: the body, no bigger than the size of a standard 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper, is slim (1.7 inches) and lightweight (5 lbs). Additional qualities include: the projector produces bright colors through upgraded color purity, the light source has a life of approximately 20,000 hours, projection at maximum brightness is possible in a minimum of eight seconds and no cool down is needed when turning the projectors off.
* As of January 7, 2010, for high-brightness data projectors with at least 2,000 lumens. According to a Casio survey.
“Casio is thrilled to introduce this entirely new lineup of eco-friendly Super Slim projectors,” said Toshiharu Okimuro, Chairman of Casio America, Inc. “The advances we have made to provide superior brightness and energy-saving features make it the perfect tool for the road warrior, instructor, gamer and general consumer for home entertainment.”
GREEN SLIM Projectors will be available in a diverse lineup, including a model that can accommodate WXGA Real display at 1280 x 800 dots (16:10) and a model that can project without a PC and can communicate wirelessly with PCs. These projectors will greatly broaden the possibilities for visual communication thanks to Casio’s advanced laser & LED hybrid light source, which will fundamentally change the status quo in projectors and provide enhanced features that make the projectors usable in diverse situations.
• Laser & LED hybrid light source that enables mercury-free high-brightness projectors with high picture quality, long light source life, and quick powering on and off
• Slim (1.7 inches) and light (5 lbs) highly portable 8 1/2 x 11 inch body
• Wide-angle 2X optical zoom for use in diverse settings, ranging from small meeting spaces to large conference rooms
• USB host function for projection without a PC and capability for wireless communication with PCs (XJ-A255/A245/155/145)
Casio will continue expanding its lineup by aggressively developing more products with the new laser & LED hybrid light source, including smaller projectors for individual use.
Main Features of Casio’s GREEN SLIM Projectors
• Laser & LED hybrid light source that enables mercury-free,
high-brightness projection. High-brightness projection is achieved without using a high-pressure mercury lamp by using blue light emitted by a blue laser, green light converted from blue laser light with a fluorescent element, and light emitted by a high-lumen red LED through a DLP® chip onto the screen.
• Standard paper-size, high-brightness projectors
High-brightness projection is achieved at a maximum of 3,000 ANSI lumens (XJ-A255/A250/A155/A150) with a laser & LED hybrid light source in a slim (43 mm) and lightweight (2.3 kg) standard paper-size body. These projectors can be carried together with documents without being bulky and can project clear images even in brightly lit rooms.
• Superior color reproducibility increases presentation impact
The laser & LED hybrid light source greatly improves color purity compared to high-pressure mercury lamps. It enables the production of beautifully vivid colors and projects clear, powerful images with visual effects of high color purity.
• Longer light source life
Use of the laser & LED hybrid light source increases the light source life to approximately 20,000 hours—nearly 10 times that of Casio’s conventional products (XJ-S58, etc.) with a high-pressure mercury lamp—which means less maintenance and lower operating costs. Moreover, brightness deteriorates more slowly than with mercury lamps, so clear image quality can be maintained for a long time.
• Quick powering on and off, an advantage for smooth presentations. Projection at maximum brightness is possible in a minimum of eight seconds, and no cool down is needed when turning the projectors off. Thus, limited presentation time can be utilized effectively by enabling a smooth presentation flow from set-up to clean-up.
• Wide-angle 2X optical zoom gives users freedom of projector setup. These models come with a wide-angle 2X zoom lens (lens with a two times shorter focal distance) that provides the greatest magnification* of any data projector. They are also equipped with a feature that automatically corrects vertical distortion of the display due to projector position, enabling effective use in diverse settings ranging from small meeting spaces to large conference rooms and classrooms.
• HDMI terminal. These models are equipped with an HDMI terminal that can transmit digital audio/video with only one cable. It enables AV devices and PCs also equipped with an HDMI terminal to be easily connected to the projectors, which can then project the contents with no loss of quality.
• Wide picture in real display (XJ-A255/250/A245/A240)
Able to accommodate WXGA Real display at 1280 x 800 dots (16:10), these models can display wide presentation materials and images in real size.
• Wireless communication with PCs (XJ-A255/A245/A155/A145)
These models can communicate wirelessly (IEEE 802.11b/g) with up to four Windows® PCs, enabling meetings in which multiple PCs are brought together and presentations that can be conducted easily and remotely from a location away from the projector.
• USB 2.0 host function enables presentations without a PC (XJ-A255/A245/A155/A145). These models can project presentations, spreadsheets, word-processor documents, PDF files and other data* prepared on a PC, still images (JPEG/BMP), and moving images (AVI format: Motion JPEG) all without a PC just by using commercially available USB memory. They can also be connected directly to the Multiprojection Camera YC-430, which can project non-digitized information and even three-dimensional objects onto the screen.
• The projectors can also be fixed to the ceiling with separately sold metal ceiling-mount fittings.
About Casio America, Inc.
Casio America, Inc., Dover, N.J., is the U.S. subsidiary of Casio Computer Co., Ltd., Tokyo, Japan, one of the world’s leading manufacturers of consumer electronics and business equipment solutions, established in 1957. Casio America, Inc. markets calculators, keyboards, digital cameras, mobile presentation devices, disc title and label printers, watches, cash registers and other consumer electronic products. Casio has strived to realize its corporate creed of “creativity and contribution” through the introduction of innovative and imaginative products. For more information, visit www.casiousa.com or www.superslimprojector.com.
Web Site: visit www.casiousa.com