New high-temp surface mount seven-segment LED displays from Lumex
Date Announced: 22 May 2012
Lumex announces the global launch of its QuasarBrite High-Temperature Surface-Mount (SMD) Seven-Segment numeric LED Display technology capable of providing bright, crisp display performance in market-leading temperature ranges up to 105°C. As a surface-mount technology compatible with lead-free soldering, the new technology can eliminate the need for the additional soldering step required with through-hole displays saving time and reducing manual labor requirements by up to 80%.
QuasarBrite High-Temperature SMD Seven-Segment LED Displays are compatible with standard drivers and are ideal for a wide range of applications that require performance in extreme heat conditions including:
• standard and commercial appliances (including displays on fryers, ovens, microwaves, and dishwashers);
• medical devices (including displays on portable and non-portable patient monitoring displays such as defibrillators, heart and pulse monitors, and sphygmomanometers);
• industrial control devices (including oil field and gas flow metering and drive control displays for heavy motor control technologies);
• military applications (including aircraft, ground vehicles, GPS and portable communication systems);
• telecom equipment applications (including displays on storage units, networks, switchboard units and routers).
Whereas standard seven-segment LED displays can operate at temperatures up to 85°C, the combination of proprietary epoxy and plastic used allows the new Lumex high-temperature technology to provide outstanding color and brightness performance at up to 105°C which is unique in the industry.
“The compatibility of the new seven segment displays with lead-free soldering allows engineers to benefit from an environmentally friendly and simplified design process.” explained Jeff Oliveros, Director of Engineering at Lumex. “Many brands are looking to eliminate all lead-based soldering for exposure-related safety issues. Additionally, most of the other components designers are using such as drivers, resistors and capacitors are all surface-mounted. Traditionally a secondary, soldering process was needed to add the through-hole seven segment displays. With the new surface-mount displays, this additional soldering process is no longer needed, generating significant time and cost savings.”
Standard QuasarBrite High-Temperature SMD Seven-Segment LED Displays are available in:
• 0.3 inch and 0.56 inch sizes
• single or double digit layout
• common anode or common cathode format
• red or green
Custom technologies are also available in any color and with wide varieties in size, character height, thickness and shapes. Lumex´s team of Technical Design Specialists helps customers integrate the new QuasarBrite High-Temperature SMD Seven-Segment LED Displays with switches, resistors, IC driver chips, capacitors and other technologies required to create a complete interface board solution. This complimentary integration support generates cost savings, speeds time to market and reduces opportunity for product failure due to integration issues.
The RoHs compliant QuasarBrite High-Temperature SMD Seven-Segment LED Displays cost less than a dollar per in production quantities dependent on size and quantity ordered. Lead time is 6-8 weeks for standard technologies and 8-12 weeks for custom products.
Lumex’s Sales Department, 290 E. Helen Rd., Palatine, IL 60067 USA. Phone: 1-800-278-5666. FAX: 1-847-359-8904.
Web Site: www.lumex.com